The American School in Japan
ASIJ's Mission: Developing Compassionate, Inquisitive Learners Prepared for Global Responsibility.
ASIJ's Student Learning Outcomes
ASIJ educates students to become:
Effective Communicators who…
- express ideas, emotions, and personal experiences clearly and creatively through the written and spoken word and through the arts.
- listen critically with understanding and empathy.
Literate Individuals who…
- integrate learning and apply it to authentic situations.
- read fluently with comprehension for a variety of purposes.
- develop a strong foundation in all academic disciplines.
- access, analyze, evaluate and present information using diverse resources.
Critical Thinkers and Problem Solvers who…
- apply creativity and persistence, and develop awareness of their own
thinking, in defining problems and developing strategies to solve them.
- demonstrate flexibility in thinking.
Self-Directed, Productive Learners who…
- seek personal excellence in intellectual, artistic, practical and physical endeavors.
- independently pursue learning.
- set, achieve and reflect on personal and collective goals.
- make healthy choices.
Constructive Community Members who…
- have a clear sense of self and exhibit honesty and integrity.
- work collaboratively and effectively with others.
- show respect for the rights and tolerance of the values of others.
- develop an awareness and understanding of the host culture and other cultures.
- understand environmental issues and work to preserve the environment.
- contribute their time, energies and talents to improve the quality of life in our families, schools, communities, nation and world.
- prepare themselves for citizenship in a democratic society.
SLOs approved 2000